|Pare down your portions to trim down your waistline|
By Bruno LoGreco
(NC)—We live in a world where “mega, super and grande” sizes have become the norm. Many people use these plus–sized portions to validate their binge–eating habits. Some use over–consumption as a way to comfort emotional distress, others take the “see food” diet approach and always finish what's on their plate.
Here are a few tips I like to follow to ensure I am eating the proper portions.
1. Plan on eating five meals every day: breakfast, lunch, dinner with two snacks consisting of fruits and vegetables. Eating smaller meals throughout the day ensures you don't overeat in any one sitting.
2. Stay away from high glycemic foods like sugar because they are addictive and will leave you wanting more. Instead, eat low glycemic foods like wholegrain breads, pastas and cereals that will make you feel fuller.
3. Clench your fist and use it as a baseline for portion control. Eat only a portion size no greater than your clenched fist each of carbohydrates, proteins and vegetables on your plate.
4. When eating out, cut the plate of food in half. Eat half and take the rest to go.
5. Being on–the–go is no excuse for improper portions. Stock up on healthy, well–balanced and perfectly portioned meals like Healthy Choice Gourmet Steamers.
Eating proper portions of a well–balanced meal is your first step on the road to a healthier you. Determine your trigger points by asking yourself questions like, “Why am I overeating? When do I most often overeat?” Take back control of your meals and say good–bye to the binge once and for all.